Health care benefits
In many cases you can qualify for a contribution towards healthcare costs in the form of so-called “care allowance”. This care allowance can pay a part of the compulsory health insurance costs. Whether you are actually eligible for the health care benefits and how high the benefits would be, depends on your income. The higher your income, the fewer benefits you eventually receive.
Maximum health care benefit
The amount of health care benefits are subject to a maximum, which is currently set at € 735, – for singles. If you share a household with a partner with whom you share taxes, the maximum is set at € 1.548, -. Please note that the mentioned amounts of health care benefits are maximums. In addition, these amounts are subject to change.
If you want to know exactly whether you are entitled to health care benefits, then have a look at the official website of the IRS: www.belastingdienst.nl.
Conditions for receiving benefits
To be eligible for health care benefits you must at least meet the following conditions:
- You are an adult and therefore obliged to have an insurance
- You are entitled to benefits because of your Dutch nationality or because you have a residence permit. Your partner (with whom you share taxes) should also have a Dutch nationality or a proper permit.
- You are insured under the Health Insurance Act and thus you are paying premiums for a basic insurance package.
- As a single you earn less than € 33.743, – per year.
- You have a partner with whom you share taxes and your income is less than € 50,000, – per year.
- You or your partner is living abroad but you have an income, benefits or pension in the Netherlands. Furthermore, you must at all times comply to the other conditions for residents of the Netherlands.
- You or your partner is living abroad but you are a family member of someone who has an income, benefit or pension in the Netherlands. Furthermore, you must at all times comply to the other conditions for residents of the Netherlands.
Change health care benefits
To request or change data regarding your health care benefit, you should contact the IRS. You can do this through the official website of the IRS or by using a form that you can request through the IRS. These kind of request generally take approximately eight weeks for the final processing of the new data. A request only needs to be filed once; after that you will automatically receive the assigned benefit annually.
Report changes yourself
You are responsible for reporting any changes about your living situation which may affect the amount of your benefit. Timely reporting the following changes prevent that you receive too little or too much health care benefits, which you will have to repay:
- You are going to get married or you are moving in with someone
- You and your partner or husband / wife are separating
- Your income or your partner’s income changes
- You want to change the bank account on which you receive the health care benefits
- You want to stop the health care benefits
Besides the changes mentioned above, there are other reasons to inform the IRS. For a complete list, please visit the website of the IRS.
Source and more information: Zorgverzekering Informatie Centrum